Wednesday, October 10, 2007

American Hockey League Logos

Running the risk of disparaging anybody's opinions, I have to post a rebuttal to the AHL top 10 and worst 10 logos lists that I just read over at Faceoff Factor.

The problem lies in how we judge logos. The criteria in his list are...

1. Does it associate well with the NHL affiliate?
2. Is it hockey related?
3. Can people recognize it from far away?

Using his criteria, I can understand his rankings. But for me, the only criteria that I would use of these three items is #3. I don't think that logos associating with their NHL affiliate is a very important factor. For the average fan of these teams, it doesn't make that much of a difference. And I really don't like it when they take the affiliates name and almost exact logo. It's boring and weak.

I also won't penalize a logo if it isn't related to it's sport. In fact, if a logo can be effective and get the point across without relating to the sport it can gain some big time points.

I still can't say that I have a specific criteria about how I judge logos. I just look at them and determine if they strike me as something I like or not. I wish I could boil it down a little bit more than that, but I just can't.

So, using my "criteria", here are my top five AHL logos. Why only five? Because I don't think there are 10 good logos in this league. I could do a top fifteen of my least favorite logos though but ten of those might tie for first place. Faceoff Factor rankings in parentheses.

5. Portland Pirates (5th on the Worst 10 list)


I can't say that I'm in love with this logo, but I do like Pirates and I do like that kind of coy, coniving look on the Pirates face. I can't believe that I have to pick this as my fifth favorite AHL logo. This league is brutal.


4. Houston Aeros (not ranked)


I love the idea of this logo. The bomber is very cool and the wordmark is interesting and different. However, I don't like how it's all put together. The flying through the puck thing is weird because it begs the question, "what happened to the wings?"


3. Toronto Marlies (1st on the Top 10 list)


I love the Toronto Maple Leafs logo, so that wins it big points automatically. But I'd prefer that they do something with the unique and historic Marlboro's nickname. But what are you going to do? They are owned by the Leafs. And I have to wonder why they need both the historic leaf and the current maple leaf logo (on the shield) on the same logo. Seems like overkill.


2. Grand Rapids Griffins (not ranked)


First of all, I love Griffins as a nickname, it's a totally unique name in all of professional sports. The wordmark is very well done, I love the two f's in the middle separating the city name and I love how it creates an arch. And that griffin is great. It's fierce but isn't scary and is both kid friendly and something that an adult would have no problem wearing it on a t-shirt.


1. Milwaukee Admirals (1st on the Worst 10 list)


Simply read my review of this logo. It has stood the test of time for me. One of my favorite logos period.

Labels:


2 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Blogger Dave2 said...

The Milwaukee Admirals logo is my favorite as well... and let me tell you, it is the ONLY hockey jersey I own which regularly gets people to stop and compliment it when I wear it. The logo is modern, high-impact, clean, easily-recognized in action, and all-around awesome.

We differ quite a lot on everything else, mostly because the only thing I really care about is if it looks cool. :-)

5. Springfield Falcons
4. Manitoba Moose
3. Houston Aeros
2. Worcester Sharks
1. Milwaukee Admirals

The Griffins would probably make my list if the drawing of the griffin were posed a little better. It just seems awkward to me, and I can't get past the distraction. Like you, I love what they did to the lettering.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Michael said...

What? No WBS Penguins? The roided up Penguin rules! ;)

Anyway,.. a quick fact about the Aeros is that they are a hockey tradition in Houston. However, fans got really upset when the Minnesota Wild tried to update it with a nosecone view of a modern jet fighter. So, this year marks the return of the Bomber that everybody still liked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home