Wednesday, March 30, 2005

California Terminators

The ABA is at it again. The American Basketball Association awarded it's 500th franchise this week to the California Terminators. The team will be based somewhere in West Los Angeles County or East Ventura County, most likely at a high school gymnasium. Well, actually, most likely anywhere in California they can find a place that will let them use their gym. I'm moving to West Ventura County in June so I'll be able to keep an eye on the Terminators and I'm excited to see where they end up playing their games. Maybe in my new home of Ventura, we'll just have to see.

I saw an article the other day (unfortunately, I don't know where I saw it) that called the ABA the Awful Business Association. I'm still totally confused why anybody continues to purchase franchises in this rinky dink league. I feel like I must be missing something businesswise that makes these teams attractive to even the most looney of investors. If you have any insight into this league, by all means share it because I'm at a total loss.

On to the logo. I find this to be one of the funniest logos I've seen in a long, long time. When I first saw the name I thought of Arnold. When I first saw the logo I thought of Arnold on steroids. This made me think of the "How Much Ya Bench" sketch on Saturday Night Live where Chris Farley, David Spade, Adam Sandler, Jay Mohr and Emilio Estevez (his last great role?) play a bunch of steroided out bodybuilders with humongous bodies and itty bitty, teeny weeny legs.

Of course the logo has the obligatory red, white and blue basketball in the background just in case it means anything to anybody. I also think they did a good thing by using California as their location name, because this team could end up anywhere in the Golden State. Just as long as they stay in Cali. Otherwise a logo honoring a doped out Governator just wouldn't make any sense.

Labels: ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home