Tuesday, March 13, 2007

KYNCAATLs - Washington State Cougars


As, first and foremost, a University of Washington Husky fan, I'm not supposed to be saying this. But my Dawgs laid an egg this season and didn't even manage to secure an NIT bid (we was robbed). So I, like so many Wazzu students, have to settle on my safety school in the tournament. Go Cougs!

Thankfully, I am actually a big Cougar fan. In fact, I am a huge fan of all college basketball in the State of Washington. Like I said, I'm a Husky first, then a Gonzaga Bulldog fan, then a Cougar fan, then an Eastern Washington fan. I even root for all the Division II and NAIA schools in the state. Northwest University scored a massive upset at the NAIA Division II championships last week in Branson and I couldn't have been prouder.

And I have always been a big fan of Wazzu's logo. I personally think it's one of the most simple, attractive and clever logos in all of college athletics. I understand why many people don't like it. Sometimes when I just glance at it, all I see is the "S". If you take away the "W" and the "U", the "S" looks like a slug that has managed to stand up.

But I don't really care in the long run. It works for Washington State and that's all that matters. If it's good enough for Tom Tuttle of Tacoma, Washington, it's good enough for me.

By the way, for all of the pundits who are giving the Cougs no respect whatsoever, I'd be willing to bet that they will be around next week - they are tougher than anybody gives them credit for. I'd also be willing to bet that they will manage to lose in a particularly heartbreaking way. That is the dictionary definition of "Couging It".

Team: Washington State Cougars
Conference: Pac-10
Location: Pullman, Washington
Arena: Friel Court at Beasley Coliseum

Labels: , ,


3 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger CougGeoff said...

Sorry your Dawgs didn't make it to the dance, but glad you're supporting the Cougs for as long as they last. Sweet Sixteen? Elite Eight? We'll see.

Keep Bloggin'

Go Cougs!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Joshua Blevins Peck said...

OU didn't make the tourny either but there's NO way in hell do I root for rivals in the conference who did. I don't get that at all.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

Replicant - You know from living in Seattle that the Apple Cup rivalry is actually pretty friendly. I have no problem rooting for the Cougs and I know lots of other Huskies that don't mind. But there are a lot of Coug fans that have serious chips on their shoulders from playing second fiddle for so many years that they could never root for the Dawgs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home