Friday, July 13, 2007

Los Angeles Galaxy


I'm going to try something new on the SLP tonight and see what happens. I'm just going to give you the logo and let you say whatever you want to say about it in the comments. Please feel free to weigh in on the LA Galaxy's new logo and then on Sunday night I'll give you my thoughts.

As a little food for thought, here's their old logo and here's a story about the change.

Lurkers - de-lurk!

SUNDAY NIGHT UPDATE - I HATE, HATE, HATE this logo. It is so ridiculously boring and cheap. I can't say that the old logo was great, but it had a ton more life than this joke. I hate the fonts that they used, I hate how all of the letters in the "GALAXY" look like they are tipped the wrong way, I hate all the dead space...I just plain HATE it. I think this logo is awful.

And I hate that they introduced it mid-season, I hate that they did it only because Beckham is on his way and they want to force people to buy merchandise, and I absolutely hate that that you can only get jerseys with the Herbalife sponsor across it. Herbalife is a creepy pyramid scheme and I would never pay to advertise them.

I will have a lot more to say about the MLS tomorrow. I want to like the MLS, in fact I went to my first Galaxy game last week and had an absolute blast, but this whole Beckham precedent and a lot of the other things that they are doing rubs me the wrong way. I don't think I'll ever be able to take this league seriously even though I want to.

Team: Los Angeles Galaxy
League: Major League Soccer
Location: Carson, California
Stadium: Home Depot Center - here's my review on Yelp and a few pictures I took.
Online Store: Get your Becks jersey now!

Labels: ,


8 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Blogger Dave2 said...

Borrrrrring...

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Nick said...

I'll bite...

Dave2 is right, it's boring. I like the colors and I sort of like the lettering in "LA", but it just kind of sits there. Plus, why a star in the logo when the team name is Galaxy? And why is the team name galaxy in the first place?

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Mallrat said...

This logo would be awesome if it were a soccer team like the North Stars, unfortunately it's for a team called the Galaxy. The new trend in MLS is to try and make your logo more euro. This logo definitly accomplishes that. Unfortunate for the logo it wasn't made in 1856 and the team doesn't have reams of history behind it so the euro-izing(that's not a word) of it just fails miserably. This logo, much like the MLS, is pointless.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plus, why a star in the logo when the team name is Galaxy? And why is the team name galaxy in the first place?

It's supposed to be a quasar, which, according to the team, is found "at the heart of young galaxies."

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger scaryice said...

It's much better than the previous one. It's so nice to see MLS moving away from the mid-90s Nike logos that were so ridiculous (Clash, Mutiny, Burn).

 
At 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would suspect it's even meant to be boring, of "international taste" or whatever. That is, to sell as many #23 shirts worldwide (well, North America and Asia) as possible. Still it manages to remind me a bit of the 70's New York Cosmos logo just like the previous Galaxy logo did.

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it better than the last one. I have trying to make sense of soccer logos in general... this kind goes with the Euro look.

Anyway, who cares about an opinion from a cornfield

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Joshua Blevins Peck said...

I think they thought they were going for simple and classy but there seems to be something missing. The "star" seems offline to me from the LA like it is off balance or something. While I loathe overbusy logos--this does have a bit missing to it that I can't quite put my finger on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home