Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Concordia College Cobbers


After reading the story about how Concordia College came to be know as the Cobbers, I'm even more confused than before. Apparently it was derived from a term of ridicule used by Moorehead townies in the late 1800's. They referred to the students of the college as Corncobs and even came to the college to disrupt their programs complete with this little doozie of a chant...

"Corncobs! Corncobs!
Hva' ska' Ni Ha?
Lutefisk and lefse
Yah! Yah! Yah!"

Those ruffians! Anyway, eventually the college embraced the name despite that fact that there was very little corn around Moorehead, Minnesota at the time the nickname was first used. Thankfully they chose this unique and interesting name over Vikings and Lutherans and gave us one of the most pissed off pieces of corn in the history of sports.

Although, personally, I think they should give some thought about going with the historical Lutefiskers over Cobbers, but I once named my fantasy baseball team the Ballard Fightin' Lutefisk, so it's hard to say that I'm impartial.

UPDATE - Ok, I want to apologize. Two straight posts with references to my fantasy team names is really, really nerdy and inexcusable.

Labels: ,


1 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, another solid reason why I like my Concordia [Concordia University - St. Paul]... though our logo could use some work, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home