Monday, January 28, 2008

Springfield Sliders


I'm always impressed when a really small-time team understands the importance of a great logo.

The Springfield Sliders will become the fifth team in the Central Illinois Collegiate League when they open the 2008 season at Robin Roberts Stadium. They have already jumped to the top of the league standings and probably to the top of all collegiate wood bat leagues with this outstanding logo. Heck, it's better than a lot of Minor League Baseball teams, maybe even better than a few Major League teams - I'm looking at you Tampa Bay Rays!

And it instantly gives them credibility. I know nothing at all about their ownership group, but if I were approached by their sales people trying to sell me season tickets or advertising, this logo would go a long way in establishing that these guys mean business. With a logo like that, I wouldn't consider this a fly-by-night, rinky-dink organization upon first glance.

Now they actually have to back it up, a logo can't do it alone. But it definitely goes a long way.

Plus, I have a soft spot for turtles, so this is right up my alley.


Team: Springfield Sliders
League: Central Illinois Collegiate League
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Stadium: Robin Roberts Stadium at Lanphier Park

P.S....Can I just say how much I love the CICL. I wish I could make it out to Illinois just for some ballgames in this league. You've got three uber-historic stadiums living on in Danville, Quincy and Springfield, and one of the best recreations of a historic stadium in the country in Dubois County.

Labels: ,


6 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Jonathan Leard said...

Weird red splash aside, I'm also a fan of this cool logo, which isn't too slick or flashy.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Brandon said...

The red splash is because it's based on a slider turtle. The slider turtle has a splash of red right there. Plus, it is repeated in the red laces. Personally, I think the logo would be a little blah without it.

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the position and expression of the turtle: its like he sees home plate before him and is daring anyone to get in his way.

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

another fine logo by skye dillon of skye design studios...great work!`

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Grant Young said...

No updates?

Love your blog and linked it to mine.

Keep up the good work!

 
At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog while looking for info on the Sliders' logo. I live just outside Springfield and am a big Sliders' fan. Ownership has really gone out of it's way to promote the team and so far seems successful. We've had multple minor league teams over the past 30 years, including the AAA and A class affiliates of the Cardinals and a couple of independent league teams and none of them could draw more than about 500 fans to a game. The Sliders (an amateur team) are drawing about double that. It's good baseball (the Sliders won their first playoff game last night) and good family entertainment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home