Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Indiana University


Happy new year everybody! The Sports Logo Pundit is back and I hope to keep this thing rolling along at a nice pace after this. I'll probably add in a little bit of general sports talk since I just don't have anywhere else to write about sports, but I'll try to keep it focused on logos as much as possible. So stay tuned, please tell your friends, and enjoy at least until my little girl is born in February and I totally disappear.

For my first post of the new year, I just simply want to point out the logos of the lesser schools of the Indiana University system. I couldn't believe how cheap they went with these. I guess I can understand it for NAIA schools like IU East, IU Northwest, IU Southeast and IU South Bend, but IUPUI? A large Division 1 school gets the same generic treatment as IU East? And why didn't IPFW have to conform?

And seriously, what the hell is going on over there? Should their motto be "The Indiana University system: keeping a weary eye on Illinois since 1820"?

Labels: ,


2 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a couple of possible reasons that IPFW was spared:

1) its Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne, meaning IU's cross-state rival Purdue has equal say in just about everything regarding the university. Not sure why it didn't apply to IUPUI though.

2) the mascot and the appearance has been around almost as long as the university itself (almost 40 years now). BTW: the mascot (a mastodon) was chosen because the archeology department found an intact mastodon skeleton soon after the school came into being.

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to point out that you have the wrong logo for IU East. Their mascot changed earlier this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home