Friday, August 24, 2007

Trenton Thunder - Open Thread


Yesterday the Trenton Thunder unveiled their new logos for the 2008 season and I'm torn. I haven't decided what I think of them yet. The first time I saw the new logos I didn't care for them, so I put them aside and came back later and started to warm up to them. But now I'm looking at the PDF file of the whole package on Ballpark Digest and, well, I just don't know.

What do you think? The comment section is open (as it always is), I'd love to hear what you have to say about them. Try to convince me one way or the other.

I'll be back on Monday to let you know what I think

MONDAY UPDATE - After thinking about it over the weekend, I really like this logo in theory. I think it looks great as a logo by itself and like Dave said, it's very hard to visualize Thunder, and they have done a wonderful job giving the Thunder nickname a personality of it's own.

Where I think my problem with this logo lies is in the execution, take the primary cap (left) for example...


Personally, it's just too wide and too, I don't know, round or puffy for a cap. I like something a little more compact and more, for a lack of a better word, striking on a cap. The alternate cap (right) is much more successful in this regard, not to mention that the bolt and the bat form a "T" - don't know if this was intentional, but if it was, nice work.

Overall, I think it's a very good logo and one that I'm sure will be very successful. I just won't be sporting their primary cap anytime soon.


Team: Trenton Thunder
League: Eastern League
Location: Trenton, New Jersey
Stadium: Waterfront Park
Merchandise: All the new stuff is already available

Labels: ,


7 Comments:

At 2:59 AM, Blogger Dave2 said...

I liked it immediately. It's cohesive in a way many logos aren't, and finding a way to visually communicate "thunder" is no easy task... but they've managed to do so beautifully. Very nice.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Mallrat said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Mallrat said...

Not a huge fan. I preffered the old one. This logo looks to me like ever other cartoony minor league team. I also preferred the old one b/c it was nice to see outright copyright infringement. You just don't see that kinda don't give a shit anymore outside of Chinatown. An era is over.

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with mallrat. It looks like all the other new minor league logos.

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it. I am less enthused than you with the away logo. It seems to me that the team ought to come up with one logo and stick with it, and the blue fluffy cloud is the better one, even if it doesn't form a T. I agree with Dave that "Thunder" is hard to picture, and this is about as good an attempt as any. Using a lightning bolt as a bat is clever. I am less impressed by the other logo, and animated letters just don't do it for me.

My only objection is to putting this predominantly blue logo on a blue cap. It just gets lost. How about another color?

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Brandon said...

John - I agree with everything you are saying. I like the cloud logo better as well. I just don't think it looks all that great on that hat, and the blue is probably a big part of that. That's why I think the lightning bolt alternate is a better fit for that cap. It really pops off of it whereas the cloud isn't very noticeable.

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what kind of name is thunder???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home