Sunday, July 08, 2007

Iowa Energy


A big thanks to Mike for alerting me to and asking for my opinion on a couple new D-League logos including the above Iowa Energy logo that was released on June 29th. I do appreciate the help.

A little bit of background on the Iowa Energy is in order. The team released a handful of finalists to the public last month and asked for fans to vote. Unfortunately, Iowa Scarecrows, Iowa Thoroughbreds, Des Moines River Rats, Iowa Corncobs and Iowa Maize were all met with fierce backlash so the team pulled the plug on the name the team contest. Most expected another group of nicknames to choose from but instead the owners chose the Energy on their own. While none of those nicknames were particularly great, except maybe the Scarecrows, I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of people cursing their complaining now.

And while the name is bad for so many reasons, the logo is even worse. I used to doodle a lot during elementary and middle school and one of the things that I used to do is draw a baseball or a basketball or whatever and draw a face on it, usually grimacing with eyes around the seems with flames trailing it. I never thought that if I would've developed it a little bit further it could one day become a professional logo.

This must have been some quick and easy money for the design team. For their sake, I hope they didn't charge by the hour because I doubt it took too long to do. In fact, in less than two minutes I drew this on my drawing pad...

...And let's be honest, It wouldn't take me that long to clean it up and pass it off as a professional logo.

I haven't even mentioned the colors. Now I like these colors, they look great...when they are the Phoenix Suns colors. Mike mentioned that the owner is a huge Suns fan, however, the Energy have nothing to do with them at all. They are affiliated with the Bulls and the Heat. Seems like stealing an NBA team's very unique color scheme without any other reason than "I like it" is a weird way to build a new team and brand.

Team: Iowa Energy
League: D-League
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Arena: Wells Fargo Arena


2 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with ya on this one. If they were going to use the rising biofuel industry in this state as an excuse, at least green in the logo.

Urghhh...

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Joshua Blevins Peck said...

Agreed. I don't know what is worse: the nickname or the logo. I really HATE the nickname! Iowa Energy? That is so absurd I can't get by that to even consider the pissed off and growling ball. Iowa Energy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home