Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Los Angeles Riptide


How did I miss the fact that Los Angeles has had a Major League Lacrosse team since 2005?

The Los Angeles Riptide debuted last season at the Home Depot Center and went 6-6 and yet somehow managed to stay completely anonymous to me despite my never ending search for affordable, sports entertainment in this area. They open their 2007 season in Chicago on May 19th and return for their home opener on May 27th against the New Jersey Pride.

I've never been to a lacrosse game so I might have to check it out if I have some free time this summer. I'm really excited to support a team that loves Star Wars nearly as much as I do. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that they used the Sarlacc of The Great Pit of Carkoon eating a rather boring surfboard shaped wordmark. First Boba Fett and now his board? It's a charmed life for this Tatooine Terror.

What's that? It's supposed to be a shark? Are you sure? I choose not to believe you.

Team: Los Angeles Riptide
League: Major League Lacrosse - Updated, sorry!
Location: Carson, California
Stadium: Home Depot Center
Online Store: The Sarlacc on a t-shirt!

Labels: ,


4 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger Save East Bethel said...

Brandon, you goof! You linked your article to the "National Lacrosse League", not "Major League Lacrosse". The NLL is the indoor league. Yes--we have TWO lacrosse leagues!!! Yipes!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Joshua Blevins Peck said...

I like this one but the surfboard font is really boring and plain. Maybe they didn't want to compete w/ those sharp teeth!

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a bad logo.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

Styopa - Sorry, I was looking at the NLL website at the same time I was writing this and just copied that link on accident. My bad.

Replicant - I agree, could have been a little bit more interesting.

Anonymous - Yeah, it isn't awful, but it isn't great either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home