Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A Sports Logo Pundit Rant

First of all, I would like to thank the Saint John's Fog Devils for making me the "Mystery Click" on their website this week. I reviewed their logo back in March and I loved it and apparently they liked my review. I have had a ton of traffic from their website this week and I am very grateful.

I have been surprised to see so much traffic coming from the "Mystery Click". It proves a point that I have been trying to make about team's websites: fans visit them. Fans click around and look at stuff. Fans want quality information on their team's website.

I don't understand at all why so many teams put a minimum of effort into their websites. Working for the minor league baseball teams that I worked for, it was very hard to convince anybody how important our website was. The websites that I had to work with as the Media Relations Director were awful. I did my best, but I didn't have much experience at that point. Now, I would (and could) turn a team's website into a gem if it stunk big time (if it was my job, this is just a hobby, hence the ungemlike quality).

All I ask for is a website that is updated after every game and a couple of times a week during the offseason, a good idea of what to expect if I attend a game, and factual information, like a correct schedule posted. You wouldn't believe how often team's schedules are wrong on their website!

Teams could even go with a simple blog format and update it everyday, I don't care. It doesn't have to look beautiful, it just needs to be informative. I wish some teams would get that through their heads.

By the way, the Fog Devil's website is uber-informative. Crazy busy, but informative. Very well done.

Labels:


2 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Brandon said...

Kevin - I'll get around to reviewing the Kane County Cougars logo this week.

You can just nominate a logo just like you did, by asking. There isn't a way to search other than going through the archives.

Now that I have achieved redesign over at Down With Pants! I hope to do a little redesigning here as well. Your suggestions will come in handy. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home